We have lost many musicians, actors, and other great talent over the years because of addictions to alcohol and drugs. If it wasn’t from an addiction than it was from misuse of one of these things, but normally misuse comes from an addiction. Most of these celebs were very young when they died, but the lifestyles they chose to live were consumed by drugs or alcohol, whether they were prescription drugs, liquor, or street drugs. Some were addicts while others may have only used socially, but even using socially can cause an accidental overdose if too much is taken of the particular substance. Theses were all popular and influential people, and will be remembered for a long time to come, leaving fans wondering to this day what it would have been like if we never lost them. There have been numerous celebrities who had their lives cut short in this way, but here are 5 that stand out to me just off the top of my head as I write this.
Brad was the singer of well known ska/punk band Sublime, but the band did not take off and become a household name until shortly after his death, but then they became very popular and are still popular to this day. He was only 28 years old and found himself tangled up in many drugs, and heroin was the one that took his life while he was touring for the album that made him famous. The band were just starting to take off with their first radio hit “What I Got”, but Brad never got to see the fame and fortune he would have because of the heroin overdose at such a young age in 1996.
River was a well known actor who was still a rising name in Hollywood before he got tangled up with various drugs that dominated the Hollywood club scene. He was oly 23 years old and was filming a movie right before his death; he was also signed onto play a role in the movie Interview with a Vampire before he passed away. River was out partying at a club in LA called The Viper Room which is a club owned by Johnny Depp. It was a hot spot for all many famous celebrities, and many were in attendance that night including River brother Joaquin Phoenix, Christina Applegate and many more. Reportedly River was in the bathroom getting high with his friends when he snorted some heroin and then immediately after went into convulsions. He ran out of the bathroom while shaking violently and passing out and then he made his way outside with the help of his sister and some friends. Once outside he went into seizure like convulsions in front of the club where he soon passed away He was well on his way to be one of the biggest stars in Hollywood before his life was cut short, and if that had never happened he would probably still be one of the top actors In Hollywood since he was such a gifted young actor.
Bon was the singer for the band AD/DC and was known as a party animal as were many of the rockers of that era. Bo was only 33 years old at the time of his death and he was just starting to become the rock start he always dreamed of. The band released their album H=”Highway to Hell” which was their fourth album with Bon on vocals, and this album was the one that started to gain them international notoriety. The band started recording their next album called “Back in Black” but before the album was finished Bon lost his life due to alcohol. He lost his life after a night of heavy drinking at a club, he left the club and was extremely intoxicated so he went out to his friends car to sleep it off, only Bon would never wake up because while he was sleeping he choked on his own vomit. The death was listed as acute alcohol poisoning and his friends are the ones that found him the morning after partying still in the car and lifeless. They brought him to a hospital in London where they were at the time where he was pronounced dead. After his death he was cremated and his ashes were spread around in Australia where he was from.
Chris was a well known comedian who became famous during his time on Saturday Night Live. After he left the show he made several very popular movies before he was lost due to drugs. Chris had a long history of drug abuse and had been in rehab many times, but he always kept going back to the drugs. Before his death he was already scheduled to go back into rehab again to try and get cleaned up. Chris had recently moved into an apartment in Chicago and right before his death he was on a 3 day bender filled with alcohol, cocaine, heroin, as well as other prescription drugs according to reports. He had a Chicago prostitute with him who had been partying with him for quite some time before his death, and it is stated that she was just leaving the apartment as Chris collapsed. He asked her not to leave after he collapsed and she has stated that she could hear he was having a hard time breathing, instead of helping him she took a picture of him lying on the floor struggling to breathe and then left. The next day Chris’s brother found him in the same spot on the floor, lifeless in a pair of sweatpants and a button down shirt. His brother called for help but it was too late, he was pronounced dead at the scene when help arrived. Autopsy results showed the death was caused by heroin and cocaine and was considered accidental, Chris was only 33 years old at the time, the same age as his idol John Belushi was when he passed away.
Heath was a top notch Hollywood actor with many very successful movies under his belt, his most recent before his death was the role of the Joker in the newest series of Batman movies. His role as the Joker in The Dark Knight is considered one of the best Jokers of all time because Heath played the part so well. Many people say the role caused a lot of changes in Heath after the movie was done, and this is quite common among actors when they become so tied up in movie roles. Heath passed away at his apartment in SoHo which is one of the more expensive areas of Manhattan; he was only 28 years old at the time of his death. He was found in his bed by his housekeeper and masseuse who had come to the apartment for an appointment. When she arrived and found him there she immediately called 911 and also called Heaths close friend Mary-Kate Olsen. It was too late for Heath as he was already gone, and as expected this created a media frenzy in the neighborhood and all around Heaths apartment building. Fans started a memorial in front of the building and left flowers and many other things to honor Heath. Autopsy results showed that Heath had been abusing prescription drugs, and the report stated that the death was accidental but caused by acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine.