View larger map
Convington is the fifth largest city in the state of Kentucky with a total population of 40,640 according to the 2010 United States Census. Covington is located at the confluence of the Ohio and Licking Rivers, within the Upland South region of the United States of America. Convington has an Humid subtropical climate, with hot, humid summers and cool winters. Making this area a prime location for Marijuana Cultivation. Weather conditions have a significant impact on the outdoor cannabis harvest. Planting generally occurs in April, and plants are harvested in September or October after the first heavy frosts.
Marijuana Cultivation, Distributing and Abuse in Convington, KY
Kentucky as one of the largest producers of marijuana in the nation. Marijuana is the most widely available and frequently abused illicit drug in the state of Kentucky. Marijuana remains the large cash crop throughout the state. Marijuana is typically a peaceful drug but when it comes to the growers it is a different story. Those growing marijuana are increasingly using violence to protect themselves and their crop in the state.The number of weapons seized during cannabis eradication program operations nationwide has more than doubled over the past decade. Most of the Marijuana plants are hidden in crops with other plants so they are not visible unless from the air, lessening the risk of being caught. Marijuana is more commonly cultivated outdoors in Kentucky, altough the number of indoor cannabis grows is increasing. Kentucky ranked among the top three states in the nation for the number of Marijuana plants seized each year from 1998 through 2000.
Marijuana is a green brown leaf derived from the cannabis plant, containing more then 400 chemicals. THC is the main chemical in marijuana to give the psychoactive effect. Binding itself to cannabinoid (CB) receptors throughout the nervous system and other parts of the body. CB receptors are found in area’s of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thought, concentration, sensory and time perception, appetite, pain, and movement coordination. When THC enters the body it can cause a number of effects. Short-term memory loss is most common, it becomes hard to learn and retain information. Reaction time is drastically slowed and motor coordination is impaired. Many make the foolish step of driving while impaired, risking their life and the lives of others. This is also in combination with poor judgment and decision making.
Many marijuana smokers will find their mood altered to the point of euphoric feelings and calmness, this makes the drug so addictive. Each person is effected differently, commonly with high doses it results in anxiety and paranoia. Those who use Marijuana for an extended period of time are at risks of addiction. Marijuana begins to consume their life leading to academic failures, poor job performance and diminished life satisfaction.
- According to NSDUH, in 2009, 4.3 million were dependent on or abused marijuana.
- Approximately 9% of people who used marijuana may become dependent. The risk of addiction goes up to about 1 in 6 among those who start using as adolescents, and 25-50% of daily users.
- Nearly 50 percent of all drug treatment admissions in Kentucky from 1998 through 2000 were marijuana-related
- The number of treatment admissions for marijuana abuse increased 27 percent from 1998 through 2000
- Treatment admissions for marijuana abuse for 15 to 19 year olds increased 25 percent, from 1,493 admissions in 1998 to 1,862 in 2000
- According to YRBS data, 46 percent of Kentucky high school students who responded to the survey in 1999 reported that they had used marijuana at least once in their lifetime
- According to YRBS data, 24 percent of Kentucky high school students who responded to the survey in 1999 reported that they had used marijuana in the 30 days preceding the survey
There is help out there…
If you are ready to take back your life from Marijuana, contact an Rehab Program in Covington, Kentucky today. You will receive behavioral modification to help you get to the rout cause of your addiction and learn how to live your life without Marijuana again. You are important, Do not let Marijuana control you life any longer. Get sober, contact a Rehab Program in Covington, Kentucky.